|Preparation/ Dosage||10-20 g of seed/d | 1-2 Tbs/d of coursely ground seed (15-30g) | Oil=160 mg TID (amount used in BPH research) | King's (for tapeworms): 1/2 fl oz oil taken fasting, repeated in 2 hrs, and in another 2 hrs-1/2 fl oz with dose of castor oil | 200-400 g unshelled pumpkin seeds ground in a coffee mill, mixed w/ milk and honey to a thick liquid, patient fasts for a day and takes half the dose in the morning and half in the evening, 2-3 hours after each dose, a dose of castor oil (1 tsp to 1 Tbs) is taken as a strong laxative|
- Blumenthal M, ed. The Complete German Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Trans. S. Klein. Boston, MA: American Botanical Council, 1998.
- Schulz V, Hansel R, Tyler VE. Rational Phytotherapy: A Physician's Guide to Herbal Medicine. Terry C. Telger, transl. 3rd ed. Berlin, GER: Springer, 1998.
- Gruenwald J, Brendler T, Jaenicke C. PDR for Herbal Medicines. 1st ed. Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics Company, Inc., 1998.
- Foster S, Tyler VE. Tyler's Honest Herbal, 4th ed., Binghamton, NY: Haworth Herbal Press, 1999.
- Marks L, Partin AW, Epstein JI, et al. Effects of a saw palmetto herbal blend in men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol 2000;163:1451-6.
- Carbin BE, Larsson B, Lindahl O. Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia with phytosterols. Br J Urol 1990;66:639-41.
- De Bellis L, Gonzali S, Alpi A, et al. Purification and characterization of a novel pumpkin short-chain acyl-coenzyme A oxidase with structural similarity to acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenases. Plant Physiol 2000;123:327-34.
- Younis YM, Ghirmay S, al-Shihry SS. African Cucurbita pepo L.: properties of seed and variability in fatty acid composition of seed oil. Phytochemistry 2000;54:71-5.
- Friederich M, Theurer C, Schiebel-Schlosser G. [Prosta Fink Forte capsules in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Multicentric surveillance study in 2245 patients]. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2000;7:200-4.
- Zhang X, Ouyang JZ, Zhang YS, et al. Effect of the extracts of pumpkin seeds on the urodynamics of rabbits: an experimental study. J Tongji Med Univ 1994;14:235-8.